Saturday, February 18, 2012

Laughter

Last night I went to a comedy club with a friend.  I had gotten an email that the comedy club was donating 50% of their profits to Camp Kesem, a camp run by UW students for children who have (or had, as is sadly our case) a parent with cancer.  My kids went to Camp Kesem last year and LOVED it.  They still talk about it and can't wait for the next one.  So, after getting this email I called a friend and asked her if she would like to go with me.  She said sure, so the plans were made.....I can't tell you how many times I almost called to cancel.  I don't know WHY I was so nervous, but I was.  Brian and I didn't DO things like this!  It isn't that we wouldn't have, but with 4 kids it was hard to get out.  Going to a place like this was out of my comfort zone.  Going out period is out of my comfort zone right now!  I pushed through though and the determination to not be held hostage by my grief won. 

So, we get to the club, wait in line, get to the counter to pay and find out that we needed reservations, ooooops!  Never even considered THAT one!  We were put on a waiting list and were called just before the show started, we literally got the last two seats.  There was a two drink minimum , so I started with a glass of wine.  At one point I took a drink and the first comedian said something that made me laugh so hard that I couldn't swallow.  I almost spit my mouthful of wine onto my friend!  As I swallowed, still laughing I inhaled some wine, so for the rest of the evening I was coughing, trying to get it out of my lungs!  My next drink was a grasshopper....yummy, and with that one came the headlining comedian.  He was hysterical!  I laughed so hard for so long that I couldn't breathe.  It was AWESOME!!  My abs hurt today from laughing so much.

I am SO glad that I didn't cancel.  We had a great time.  I needed last night, not only for the fact that I had FUN, but also for the fact that I can still laugh.  More importantly though I proved to myself that doing something out of my comfort zone is a GOOD thing.  It helped give me a little bit of strength and confidence, two things that I desperately need as I wind my way through widowhood.

For more information about Camp Kesem visit: http://www.campkesem.org

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up with your last few postings. Glad you had a good time at the comedy club. Sometimes the thought of doing something is so distasteful or uncomfortable, but once we actually "do it," it turns out not to be so bad after all. Sort of like having a a tuna fish sandwich. It doesn't sound that appetizing, but once you take that first bite, it actually is quite delicious. Your experience helped you move forward a little bit in your "new normal" life, while also helping the camp your kids loved. A win-win situation, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete