Saturday, June 30, 2018

The story of Tink



This car is a 1992 VW Cabriolet. Her name is Tink. It literally is my dream car, and I had wanted one since high school. In 2007 I started looking for one. Brian was doing better (his cancer at that point was no evidence of disease) and things felt like they were getting back to normal. I told him that I was looking and his response was "Your sister is getting married in Costa Rica... do you want the car or to go to her wedding?" Well, of course I picked the wedding! Fast forward several months to 2008... Brian had been diagnosed with a brain tumor, had it removed and underwent radiation... then a week later we flew to Costa Rica for my sister's wedding.

Later that summer he met a woman who had lost her husband to pancreas cancer. Her car? A VW Cabrio, the newer model of mine. He asked her if I had seen her car and she told him yes. She then said " My one regret is that I didn't buy it while my husband was still alive. He would have loved to see me drive it!" Brian came home that day and said "If you can find a car you like and we can afford it you can get one." The search began immediately!

I ended up finding my car in Michigan. We drove to Milwaukee, took the ferry over to Michigan, took the car for a test drive and brought it home. It was my 15th wedding anniversary present. This Sept I will have had Tink for 10 years. It is my most prized possession. I love it just as much now as I did then, maybe even more. I get compliments on her every time I drive her anywhere.


Our 25th anniversary is this August, and it will be my 7th without Brian, but EVERY TIME I drive my car he is there with me, joining me as I continue to wind my way through widowhood.
#longlivelove
#windingmywaythroughwidowhood



No comments:

Post a Comment